To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ugh

I had to spend twenty minutes today (captive audience) listening to a person going on about people who suffer from depression and what deficient people they are.  I couldn't help but think they were a perfect match for the person in question--they sounded alike, and are both right-wingers, one of them masquerading as left.  I mean, you can go on all you want about Republicans and the environment, etc., but show yourself to be devoid of compassion for the people who are truly in need, and I have no patience.  I hope time and perhaps experience with life teaches them lessons.  I know the person I listened to today is young, and a little scared and misinformed; the other one really should know better. I mean, not to judge, but how can you live like that?  How do you know life is not going to bring you to your knees, too?

Speaking of soulless voids (there is a continuum, and the following person is at the top of the scale), I opined with someone last night as to whether the woman Michael McClish killed was the first one.  He did get convicted of rape before he was convicted of the murder, and threatened that woman with a hatchet, dangled her over a ravine (he seemed to have a thing for ravines, I guess), etc.  I have to wonder and think about a couple of the unsolved murders of women in our county (Juanita Nelson comes to mind--she was in an early state of pregnancy when she disappeared, and detectives believe her body was dumped in a canyon, too.  They do think they have identified her killer, but have not named him.  He confessed to her murder, to two of his prison buddies).

The reason I wonder is because of how efficiently he killed Asha, dumped her body (insects on her body, hate to say, pinpointed that she died the same night she was missing), got rid of her backpack, etc..   Looking at phone records of when he checked in with his wife, and when Asha also spoke to a friend just before leaving her place of employment to talk to McClish, it took him only about 45 minutes to commit the crime, find a place to dispose of Asha's body, drive up to Quail Hollow Road, which is not a terribly short distance from Love Creek. considering that he was at the top of it, dump her backpack, and arrive home. There is a just-under-fifteen minutes window of silence between everyone's phone calls when the murder itself may have happened. Makes me wonder if Asha was not the first, given how calculating this all was...perhaps he had just been working it out for days.  He was seen beforehand near the place where he would later dump her body.  I thought tonight I would check missing-person files of women in Santa Cruz.

All speculation, perhaps all smoke, but part of writing a book like this.


No comments: