To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Saturday, September 06, 2014

County Building/American Cafe

BTW, when I am at the County Building, I stop in at the American Cafe, which is located in the basement (yes, again, Silence of the Lambs, but I digress).  I have eaten there twice in the last week as I work on getting documents and do research for the book.  It is not bad; I think it is still run by the same folks as Michael's on Main (where I have bellydanced).  I haven't tried the food, but I find it amusing that the place has moved up in the world.  You can even get paninis there, and Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting coffee in carafes, instead of the ancient, ever-cooking axle-grease-in-a-coffeepot they used to have years ago.  I don't even think the place had a name then: it had chips, Odwalla bars, muffins, etc.
I am glad to see the changes.  It even has lace curtains at the windows, which look out onto the very, very ugly basement corridor, with its bleak ATM machine, a message board that used to be crammed with job offers, but there are none now, and an exit sign to a locked door.  At lunchtime, the deputies come in, cracking jokes, all of them looking like Hank Schrader on Breaking Bad.  The lawyers chat up the kitchen staff and the cashier; there are so many lawyers with silver hair, perfectly groomed.  There are county workers clustered around tables, laughing and gossiping.  Altogether I feel it is a place to work which is satisfactory to me, and I have already scoped out a table that I like.

Well, the hour is late and I need to go to bed.  Thanks for visiting.

No comments: