To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Tuesday, September 02, 2014

The Thought Sometimes Doesn't Count

Working on the Asha Veil story makes me question all the New Age ideas I've heard over these years.

I often ask where God is, in situations of such evil as her death.

I realize that, if there is an afterlife, she is in a place where no one can hurt her and Anina now.

Someone said, "She stopped McClish, perhaps that was her karma."  I can't bring myself to believe that.

I have a someone practical view of life.  I know thinking positively is good; affirmations can be good.  But saying someone is responsible for all the bad that comes to them, as well as the good?  As an amateur astronomer, I often shake my head at the idea that the "universe" is what answers people's prayers, etc.--maybe it's a metaphorical universe, or some sort of universal energy.

My own philosophy comes from the 12-steps, and one thing I have learned: if you wait, and let people take their lumps, and don't interfere, pretty much everything works out.  Generally, all I usually have to do is the footwork for my own life; things come to me when I need them, and people return to my life in Higher Power's time, not mine...and what I pray for is wisdom and discernment to know when to act.  I tend to blow it more than I get this "right"--but a strong dose of humility can be a good thing, too.

 The real universe doesn't care--it's too busy making supernovae, planets, star systems, etc. When I look at the night sky, I connect with Spirit and know that, if such a being and intelligence exists and can make all these things AND keep them in the relative order, in accordance with the laws of physics--then surely my relatively small problems, wishes, and desires can be handled.  If I really am trusting, I ask God once for what I want and need, then completely let go.  Sometimes the answer is very surprising.

Regarding Asha:

I am going through Topix boards regarding Asha Veil, and am saddened by statements regarding McClish's other victim, a woman he raped; she also worked at the market and eventually helped him get a rape conviction with life in prison.  Too many people blamed her for the assault--I doubt any of them read the actual court transcripts, but I have.

Why do people still continue to blame women for this?  If a man raped a man, no one would say a thing about how he enticed it...not once in all my studies on domestic violence, etc., have I ever heard the latter.

Personally, I was told by someone close to me that I attracted the man who sexually assaulted me in the nightclub, that I attracted the experience to myself by my "victim mentality"--even though he amended it to say I had only a little responsibility(thanks).  In retrospect, I believe he was saying, "I did not protect you when I should have been there for you,"--but had no way to say this--still, what was said to me in real life was a horrible thing to say to a partner.  When someone is assaulted in this way, they should be cared for, not blamed, and not made to feel they brought it on themselves.  My "crime" was that I was at the end of a seating row, the club was dark, and I was female.

There are people who blame Asha Veil in some way for what happened to her--granted, they are sicko, anonymous trolls who published on the Topix site years ago, but still, to hear it is beyond disgusting.  I cannot believe there are such ignorant people in the world, but it teems with them.

Asha didn't think wrongly and then attract a murderer.  Sure, she had sex with the wrong guy...the really wrong guy, but she was trying to remedy her life and move on, and be a responsible, loving mother.

Such a sad story--but there are actually some positive elements to it, mainly in how Asha lived her life and was loved by so many people...up against the deep sadness of her loss to the world...which, by the way, was not her fault.

No comments: