To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Saturday, November 01, 2014

Astounding

In my Facebook messages today, shared by my dear friend and teacher S. as an example of how not to treat others, with a very insightful narrative as well on this line as to how precious all lives are (apparently it's making the rounds today):

"You can't do epic shit with basic people."

Wow!  I'm getting sick of Facebook nostrums anyways, but this took the cake.  Definitely not a statement I would ever hear tossed around the zendo!

There's no such thing as a "basic person"--an attitude like that would really close me off to the astounding beauty of all human beings, no matter who they are.  The idea of one group being "less than" yourself is the basis of so much destructive behavior, both personal and global, over much of recorded history, and to the present day.  And what is "epic shit" anyways?  Who on earth would pro-offer this to the world as an example of something admirable to do?  The most impoverished homeless person on the street is no less than me.  Good Lord!



















No comments: