To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Saturday, May 30, 2015

If You Think It Was Bad In The Daytime...

I drove by the McClish house again the other night.  If I thought it was bleak, non-alive, and downright creepy, it is even more so at night.  It really does seem, as one commenter said, that the malignant vibes of the killer live on there.  At night, the whole place has its blinds drawn and a light or two shining through, and the bleakness of the property is somehow accentuated by the low light--I told myself, "This is how he saw it that night, coming back from what he did to Asha."

How can anyone just go on home after doing what he did, like it was nothing?  My friend told me that someone she knows, a former employee of Henflings, near the Ben Lomond Market, saw McClish near last call (midnight), the night he killed Asha.  He was downing shots and talking insanely; the employee knew immediately, based on McClish's babbling that night, that he was the killer.  It also proves my theory that McClish sneaked out of his house after everyone was asleep, the same night he killed Asha, in order to move her car from the market (he initially came home at nine).

I have to admit that I have been stalled on the book, but am picking it back up as of tonight.  Seeing the houses really pushed me further into it.  These were real people, people I knew, who lived these lives.  The newspapers said that Asha was excited in the last days of her life because she was going to sign a lease on an apartment in Capitola (this is a really nice seaside town in Santa Cruz).  As rocky as so much seemed for her at that time in her life, the apartment would have been her own place, a safe nest for her and Anina.  It is disgusting and nightmarish that all this was taken away from a truly good person.

On the other hand, the McClish house is where the killer sat and drank his whiskey shots late into the night and planned to get rid of his "problem."  How many other "problems" did he get rid of in the course of his life outside prison?  I don't think many people get the dubious privilege of seeing how disturbed he really is, because they haven't sifted through the court documents as I have, for so many months now.  There was ALWAYS a monster behind that well-tended facade of his. 

I'm organizing my files this week and will be trying to get the recordings of the trial next month (everything is so expensive, but it's worth it).

No comments: