To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Wild Pigs

I haven't had a visit from them, on this property, for many years.  About six years ago, when the weather was very hot, we had repeated visits from them (once, a bunch of them ran near the front deck, as they followed a certain track up to my neighbor's house, where, for some reason, they would root).  At the time, there was a water drip from a spigot near some rose bushes, and the hogs apparently chose that spot as a wallow.  The sound was like the scene in the New Testament, when Jesus exorcised demons from some unfortunate man and they went into a herd of pigs.  They were around for several nights in the hot weather; the combination of heat and absolutely maniacal sounds from the hogs, the sound of the herd running, and the crazy vocalizations made it seem like a bizarre horror movie.

I was on the deck last night when I first heard the heavy bodies coming out of the woods: it's unmistakable that there are many of them. They grunted like farm pigs last night, mostly, and I heard them scratching themselves on trees, at which point I went back in the house.  I have an enclosed back deck and have sat listening to a mountain lion shrieking and growling (probably much farther away than it sounded), and bobcats, foxes, and coyotes: but there's no way I am going to feel safe around feral hogs except in my house with the door locked!  They are really destructive and also very dangerous.

If you want to hear the creepy vocalizations, here they are, but be forewarned: they sound like something out of Jurassic Park:


No comments: