To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Friday, August 28, 2015

Covering the A.J. Gonzalez Trial

I have found myself over the last year in the curious position of "investigative journalist."  I walked into that category the day I found out deeper truths about Asha Veil and her story when she was on this earth, getting ready to bear the child she so wanted, making a life for them both.  The media did not even get right the name of the town she was born in, the beautiful home her parents made for her, and not one journalist ever sought to find out the truth of what happened to her one night in the Felton cemetary.  Not one journalist investigated anything deeper than a few facts about her.  Her disservice in life by media who did not know her, who called her only a "nice cashier" who supposedly was embroiled in affair--no, this was not her true story.  And I was given the chance to say what I am sure is true, and to tell the world that she was much, much more than was said of her in the papers.  I wept when I found out from her friend that they played in the snow at a park back East, that they lay on their backs and howled--I should think they must have howled at the moon in the cold night sky, when the moon was visible.

When Madyson Middleton died, we found out that she loved wolves.  A few days after she died, the community howled for her; Thistle and I heard it all around the county, reverberating through our canyon.  These women and girls: taken from their life by insanity, by selfishness.

People have asked me if I will be covering the Adrian Gonzalez trial.  I will be doing so, and will try to be sensitive to the families of both Madyson and the Gonzalez family, and to both Madyson herself, and AJ.  He is a fifteen year old young man--what compelled him to do what he did?

More will come out.  Perhaps out of this terrible event will come more safety for kids in our community, and more attention to mental health issues with adolescents.

No comments: