To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Friday, August 25, 2006

What I Did Over My Summer Vacation

Here is what I accomplished this summer:

1) I grudgingly admit to myself that I did make a substantial dent in The Strega's Story. I am learning to share a workspace with Mr. Strega in our cabin/office. I get the daytime, he gets the nighttime--not unlike the arrangement Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes had, with none of the weirdness. The "grudging" is due to the fact that I think I could have used my time much, much better...but, heck, live and learn.

2) I knit over half of my Arachne Shrug. I also probably ripped the same amount out and started over.

3) Planted large garden, which is just now coming into its fullest bloom, due to the late rains this year.

4) Had at least six performances with Dancers of the Crescent Moon. Bought same amount of false eyelashes. Yes, I hate them, but they are a necessary evil(and my troupe director requires them).

5) Performed a sword-balancing dance for the first time in public, and didn't drop the sword or cause anyone's premature death.

6) Entered a Level 2 yoga class and did not fall on my face during Sun Salutations

7) Started African dance and am still among the living.

8) Made 18 million rhubarb-strawberry crumbles, as my friend Mary has a rhubarb plant
and gave me many, many stalks (with promises of a future rhizome), and Mr. Strega kept buying giant flats of strawberries at the Felton Farmer's Market.

9) Made 18 million gallons of tomato soup (Gingery Tomato Soup from the Laurel's Kitchen cookbook) after Mr. Strega discovered one can buy 20 pounds of tomatoes at a time from Dirty Girl Farms at the Felton Farmer's Market.

10) Faithfully took my nightly walk with Mr. Strega and our canine, down the street and back again.

11) Am getting more successful at eating only veggies between dinner and bedtime, which is what my nutritionist suggested, as, despite all the yoga, bellydance, African dance, walking, etc., my weight doesn't seem to budge substantially.

I did not:

1) See "Snakes on a Plane." I would if I didn't have such a terrible paranoia about snakes. I already have recurring nightmares about reptiles. My son Riff saw it and declares it the best movie he's ever seen in his life.

2) Hang out at the White Raven more than once or twice (must remedy this).

3) Go swimming in our community pool every day, like I said I would.

And now, it's nearly over!

No comments: