To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Friday, January 29, 2016

Vague

I wanted to clarify something about my last post.  I was really upset when I wrote it.  The gist is that my childhood home, the one I was brought home to as an infant and where I spent the first ten years of my life, was recently razed to make way for condos. It used to be surrounded by similar homes, and I remember well when the street was still dirt.  Even when it became paved, tumbleweeds still rolled down it on windy days.  My siblings and I used to count them.

I despaired of getting a picture of the house.  I thought I had taken screenshots from Google Maps when the house still stood, yet could not find it anywhere in my computers, thumb drives, even floppy discs and CDs!  Google Maps only shows it as a dry, dusty lot with the house foundation on it, and my mother's rose--a rare red wild rose--still standing, quite tall.

Late at night (when I usually work), I had an idea: Google isn't the only map engine, and perhaps those maps have a street view and are not updated as much as Google Maps.  With this in mind, I tried a couple of them, and hit the jackpot with Bing.  I never use that search engine, by the way, yet am now quite grateful for it.

No comments: