To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Friday, May 06, 2016

Diva Nation

As many of my readers know, I have been a bellydancer for fourteen years.  I've been in the same troupe, Dancers of the Crescent Moon, since 2014.  We perform folkloric dances of the Middle East and wear costumes based on traditional Bedouin clothing.

One thing I really appreciate about this troupe is that no one is a diva (not like anyone would be in this troupe): our troupe director is very good about redirecting such energies, if they even exist at all.  It's no wonder her troupe has been in existence for well over twenty years.  Favoritism is something that can break a troupe apart.

One of my other troupes is starting to devolve into a few divas at the top of the pecking order, and it is uncomfortable.  It's a style that involves everyone being a community, and if resentments grow, it won't be a community anymore.

No comments: