To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Strange Days


 Dear Readers, it was a long summer for my family. My granddaughters, all three, are back in their various schools. Thistle is in eighth grade, something I find hard to believe. I am cleaning and putting old toys into storage, all the while reflecting in the "just yesterday" manner. 

Today I watched kids emerge from the school Thistle attends--enthusiastic, cute kids doing the ordinary things, riding bikes home, talking to friends, parents chatting. There is the hope that we have come through a phase of the pandemic where life can feel a little bit more engaged, especially in terms of being connected with school. Last year, picking up or dropping off Thistle felt like just sending her into a nice edifice called a "school," for I could not enter due to Covid protocols. The school still has safety protocols and many children and parents are masked, but the school is holding more events now and I feel relatively safe about going to some of them. Thistle has had all her vaccinations and boosters, as have I. To top it all off, the weather in Santa Cruz from Spring onwards has felt much more normal. 

Still, I can't help but feel that this touch of normalcy is simply a reprieve.


No comments: