To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009

It has been quite a year for me, to say the least. As all my readers here know, I lost my mother, sister, and two close friends, many difficult losses starting 2007. I also had a miscarriage in June 2007, which was very difficult for me and about which I haven't really wanted to write much, except in my journaling. At my age, a surprise pregnancy seemed a miracle and it was profoundly sad for me to experience its loss.

Life does bring people down very difficult roads. I would not really want to live again the difficult parts of the last couple of years. I do feel that it has been one of the most deeply spiritual times of my life, when I have felt so close to unseen worlds and people who have passed beyond this life. Still, it has really hollowed me out. I am trying to be gentle with myself during this break, and plan to not teach summer school this year so that I can have some time to re-gather my thoughts and creativity.

I do feel that the new year is going to bring hope and light to this troubled country. I feel heartened by Obama's strength and resolve already to help our nation, and certainly positive change is always something wonderful to behold.

I've no New Year's Resolutions--I never make them--but perhaps being kinder to myself might be on the agenda!

No comments: