To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Thursday, February 19, 2009

Balanced

Had the most wonderful time in my troupe's dance class last night. We are getting ready for Rakassah, the huge bellydance festival that takes place, at different times of the year on the East and West coasts. The festival is really amazing. Our troupe is doing a balancing dance, using pots we made this year. The floorwork we're learning is a bit different from the one shown here (from the amazing Hahbi Ru dance troupe), but the part where the women twist their hips in a kneeling position is very close to what we do...and man, it is physically taxing. I did this sequence over and over last night, probably ten times, plus other floor work, all while balancing a heavy, weighted pot (like the ones the women are dancing with here).
Plus falling backwards while kneeling and catching myself at the last minute. Plus getting off the floor from a kneeling position in one graceful move, without bobbling. Mind, you, I'm going to be fifty in four months. Would I have it any other way right now? Heck, no! I think those yoga classes are starting to pay off....

Enjoy Habhi Ru's balancing dance. They are an amazing and fun group:


No comments: