To read an excerpt from the book, please click on the following link:

ashaveilbook.blogspot.com

An excerpt from The Pleasure Palace, my romantic comedy, can be found here:



Friday, February 20, 2009

Alice Walker on Losing a Sister

My sister Maryanne used to buy me books by Alice Walker: In Search of Our Mother's Garden, The Way Forward is With a Broken Heart, The Color Purple. These books gave me immense hope and happiness, the wonderful satisfaction and sense of connection with writing that springs from a deep well of life, of authenticity. I recently learned that Walker lost her own sister, who had (like my sister) been ill for many years. I was astounded at the similiarites between her physical, visceral reaction to her sister's death and my own. I also so greatly admire how she expands her vision outward even in the midst of grief and mourning to look at the wider world. Click on the link to see her essay:

No comments: